Skip to content

It’s The Anticipation

February 22, 2010

I think one of my least favorite parts of parenting is the anticipation of a night full of vomit. I know it’s early in the morning and that is not a pretty visual, but it’s been my reality two of the last three nights.

I tried to do something good for myself by joining the YMCA.  So on Friday, we went to check it out. I planned to drop the girls off in the play area and then go swim. I was hesitant because the Little One still freaks out sometimes on Sundays when we leave her in Sunday School. But on Friday things were okay. They girls were happily playing and I got to swim for a good 40 minutes.

I was feeling great. I exercised and the girls got to play. It was all good. Until about 1 o’clock on Saturday morning when the Husband and I were awakened by the Little One’s tell-tale “I puked” shriek. She screamed, I jumped up and told the husband that the Little One just puked. He of course didn’t believe that I could predict that from our bedroom. (he was wrong!).

So we spent an hour cleaning up the Little One, her bed, carpet and bathroom. I finally get her back in bed and then crawled back into my bed. The Husband had already started snoring as I lay there waiting and wondering when or if it was going to happen again. I laid there a good couple hours just waiting to hear her cough, gag and then scream. It never came, fortunately.

Fast forward to last night. It was around 12:45 a.m. when the Big One woke me up. She was standing in my doorway (the baby gate is up to keep Gracie Lou in my room, she still cannot have free reign of my house at night!) whining that her tummy hurt. I told her to go lay back down. I got up and checked her temperature. She’s got a low-grade fever.

I knew what was coming next, it was a matter of when. So I went back to bed and waited. It took about 20 minutes before I heard a similar shriek to the one I heard a couple nights before. Thankfully the Big One is quick enough and got to the bathroom in time. So the clean-up was minimal. She still wanted to take a bath, so I bathed her and then got her back in bed at around 1:30 a.m.

Then I waited. And waited. And waited. As I laid there waiting to see if there was going to be more puke, I decided that exercise must be bad, why else would both my kids be sick?  I’m kidding. I hope I can get them well in a couple more days and we will try the Y again.

I just wish there was some kind of detector to tell me if the puke incident was a one-time deal or a marathon was in store. I would certainly get a lot more sleep!

Oh and by the way, where is the Husband? Yep, you guessed it gone for the week. He at least got to experience one night of fun with me!

2 Comments leave one →
  1. February 28, 2010 11:42 pm

    Oh Joyce! My heart goes out to you…I have been here on more than one occasion, so I know how hard it is to have to deal with it, but to also see your kids go through it. I think that is great you joined the YMCA…it is always good for us moms to get a break from our kids and take care of ourselves. I too am just getting back into the swing of that…joined the gym. We will have to check in with one another and see how it is going. My thoughts are with you! Pray for a better week coming!!


    Thank you for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment. 🙂


  1. Mother’s Day Part I «

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: